Wednesday, June 11, 2008

When I tell people I’m heading back to Minnesota for vacation they invariably say something like “WTF?”, or just a simple “Family trip?”. Then the bug jokes follow with snarky remarks like “Bring your Deet”, and “Isn’t the state bird a mosquito?”.

We go back because we get to connect with family, there’s a ton of fun stuff to do that you can’t do in AZ, and it is a cheap trip. So we fly out Friday, sans D who is in school until June 25th. I’ll miss her hanging out with us. I’ve scoped out everything from Minnesota Twins tickets – cheap seats – for $1.50, a day visit to Valleyfair and their waterpark, renting a mountain bike and competing at the Thursday Night @ Buck Hill races, and of course hanging out on the lake in the day and watching old movies at night with few cans of Old Style. I don’t care if it’s rain or shine, we’ll have a good time.

I spent yesterday balls to the wall at work from 6:30am on solving staffing and Wi-Fi issues and I think we have a good handle on both. Then, I treated myself to a 3 hour self-inflicted hammer fest on the singlespeed. I rolled into the garage on about 10psi in the rear tire and an out of true rear wheel again, with no water/food for the last 5 miles. That was OK though – it was almost all downhill the last 5. I stumbled over to the grocery store after a 1 minute shower and bought two frozen burritos, two cartons of soy milk and bananas. Dinner was two burritos, a huge fruit protein shake, which was washed down by a can of Tecate – or two. I fell asleep slumped over in our office chair surfing CNN headlines.

So, it’s time for the trip home. I’ll do just enough riding an old family Cross Bike on the rails-to-trails to stay sharp, spend LOTS of time on the lake, fishing, and just hanging out with the family. When I get back it’ll be busy at work, and I’ll have a month to really turn the screws on my fitness for some mid-summer races. I’m lookin’ forward to the break and coming home to the start of the Flagstaff monsoon season.

8 comments:

  1. When you get to 'sota, I'll look west and wave to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to drive over, but my Kia rental car would get washed into Illinois. BTW - Kia's don't get great mileage in 3rd gear on the interstate....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Throw the cross bike in the Kia, hop in, make sure it's in D not 3 and head on over for a Tuesday night club ride at Beechwood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know you'd be so affected by the deet comment. I thought the jokes about mosquitos were the equivalent of the "dry heat" in AZ. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ya, hey dere, pally--
    have a great trip! I trust you will keep us all updated on Bozzelblog as to what's happening up dere.

    I think if you don't I will go into withdrawal.

    Say hey to Prince and Appolonia for me!

    Love, Morris Day and the Time

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kent - I'll bring you back some mosquitos, Sheck I'll drink your favorite mojitos, all the while lounging in my tangerine speedo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a camper that matches that speedo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your $200 camper always kept us dry - may the Tangerine Dream always be with you.

    ReplyDelete