Thursday, September 24, 2009

New strokes

The girls went to bed at 9 last night, and out of fear of making an ass out of myself in seven weeks, I made my way over the the flourescent-lit, 3-lane, 25 meter pool over on the west side o' town.

Fortunately, I ran into a guy I have played racquetball with several times. He's a veteran of many open water swim races, and after 45 minutes of instruction, barking orders, and motivational yells, I was gassed. I think he took it upon himself to kick my ass in the pool like I went and gone done on to him on the court. Paybacks are a bitch, but I learned more in those 45 minutes about swimming than I have in my life. I think I can take his techniques and squeeze out a 1K swim if I can stay at it for the next six weeks. The good news is, I'll probably see him at the pool 1-2 times a week, so the ass kicking/learning has just begun. Believe me, I can only get better.

D roped me into a 10K this weekend on Saturday. We'll see how that goes. I'll be the one guy with long shorts, cheap running shoes, and a cycling industry t-shirt. I have to say I'm digging the diversity after 5 years of just riding bikes.

4 comments:

  1. Where's the 10K at? You gonna do great, amigo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I lived I lived in the area so I could heckle you and chase afer you with a high life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dude, don't let me down! i just hooked you up with running shorts and knee high compression socks! fly your freak flag! ;-)

    catch up mid-weekend to see how it went. have fun!

    ae

    btw, i have a new speedo you can have, too! you tri geeks are funny...

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, OK, I'll wear the banana hammock and the knee highs. Pics of that will be buried with me.

    ReplyDelete