Thursday, October 22, 2009

Barriers and Run-ups?

It’s been just over a year since the crapola hit the fan in the tourism industry down here in the sunny southwest. Working on the 2010 budget - so much fun – shows me just how much things fell off when Lehman Bros. went in the tank last fall. What a clusterfuck, and now that we’re a year away and the drama has subsided, it’s given me a chance to realize just how screwed up things were, are, and will be for a while. I certainly don’t need Glenn Beck to tell me about it. Can someone “lose” him, permanently?

Financial institutions and ‘Murkan car manufacturers aren’t the only ones that struggle. For f*cks sake, we can barely run a social cycling team without getting into it with various members from time to time. It always comes down to what’s in it for me, and what will our jerseys look like. Take those two elements out of the picture and running the team would be a breeze. Potential cash sponsors have eschewed me out of their offices/e-mail in boxes faster than hair bands left the 80’s. So – onward with a smaller budget, and the best part is that the whiners are almost gone. Afterall, when they can’t put a finger on their tangible benefits, they suddenly lose interest.

On the agenda is my first cross race - ever - this weekend. I’ve never practiced, and the only quick dismounts I do are crashes on mountain bikes. I watched a Youtube video of a cross race today, so I’m sure I’m ready to go (said with 100% sarcasm). I just want to be out competing on a sunny October day on a local course ‘cause that equals good times. So with that, I’m going to take the race as seriously as I am about preparing for it: No tighty lycra cycling costume – instead it’ll be cutoffs, t-shirt, old helmet…but with matching shades, and high socks. No cross bike either, unless I can scam one on race day. Yup, I’ll be “that guy”.

NAU homecoming is this weekend so the scene in downtown Flag will be drunks, drunks, and more drunks. I think Lyza and I will take in the football game, and call it an early evening with D after she gets home from a costume par-tay/fundraiser. Bring on the weekend, baby!

3 comments:

  1. Best of luck on the race, pallie.

    Oh, and now you know we're all dying to see a photo of you in you knee high socks, and 1970s French Cylco-cross attire, mixed with Cali-style cut offs.

    PS- Isn't every weekend a parade of drunks drunks and more drunks in downtown Flag? I ain't never lived in a more drinkin'est city.
    Bottoms up! Glug glug glug!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellen Jo has apparently never lived in any town in Whiskey-onsin.

    Can't wait to see the pic of you. The plan for Halloween CX up here next weekend is to go as the Sta-Puft Marshmallow Man. Your pic gets mine! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nahh, she doesn't realize just how much beverages are enjoyed in Whiskyonson. That Stay Puft 'Shmallow costume would be great or show up in that kit you wore last week and wrap yourself like a Johnsonville Brat. Pics baby! Your pic gets mine had me LMAO.

    ReplyDelete