Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Hurk rike rage (tribute to big steve)

48 hours after that local race on Saturday and I still feel sluggish and beat.

Right from the gun it was on, and the first 3.5 miles are on a relatively benign jeep road. The singlespeeders with 17’s and 18’s were pulling away, but I was OK with that since I knew what was ahead.

The turn onto the singletrack brought everyone back together. 5 of us picked our way through the switchbacks, and the technical funfest in a pretty efficient line. The problem was, I was out of my league a bit and was working too hard to stay with the crème de la crème. I’m more like 2% milk than the whipping cream at the top – but I wanted to hang since the long downhill back to the start line would be recovery time and I could then suck wheels across the flats. Howeva’, the physical effort led to a mental breakdown and I put my front tire into a rock, followed by hisssssssssssssssssssssssss.

I had CO2, and a quick change had me back on my bike in a few minutes. In that timespan, the lead group disappeared, and the back of the pack came whizzing by. Fuck fuck and more fuck. In a Hulk-like rage I went into chase mode, and caught and passed 4 dudes within two miles. On the long downhill back to the line I passed a teammate – Navajoel - but in my head I thought he was just another singlespeeder, so for the next two hours I was chasing what I thought was Navajoel…bit I was really chasing nobody in particular.

The rage took me all the way through the next 20 miles and as I came up to the line I pictured Navajoel there with a few crack-ass comments about beating me since that has never happened before. I crossed the line and….no Navajoel. I checked the time sheet, and saw he was 10+ minutes behind me after the 2nd lap. That Hulk-like rage was just that. I wasn’t seeing or thinking straight.

So, it’s taken a bit of decompressing to come down from that level of intensity. I should have known something was a bit off when I chose Kick Ass and Kill Bill Volume II as movies to watch over the weekend. Seems I was in a bit of a killing mode after that flat tire.

The Tour of the White Mountains is next on 10/2. The title makes it sound like just that, a casual tour. It’s not. It’s the last organized big scale event in AZ until December. 50% of me wants to ride it with teammates at a reasonable pace, stop at the aid stations, take some photos along the way, and enjoy the tour aspect. The other 50% of me wants to drill it and see what I can do. It seems as though the Hulk usually comes out as soon as the gun goes off, so I’m a gonna’ stop kidding myself right now and just show up prepared to race.

5 comments:

  1. Did you rip your shirt off and turn green? Maybe you just ripped your shirt off? Is that the tribute to BS? When he gets mad Steve rips his shirt off and goes crazy!!! Scares the crap out of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent JB - Jesus I'd be scared too, 'speciarry if he went arr green. Back in '93-'94 Panaracer made the SMOKE tire. We roved it, but at 1000+ grams it became obsorete over the years. Back in '02-'03 Big Steve ran across a very very inexpensive knockoff of the SMOKE tire made by Chen Shing. It was "Smoke Rike". We then began dropping our L's like Chinese students rearning engrish. Hence, the Incredibre Hurk riding Smoke Rike tires.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey... I rearry riked my chen shing smoke-rike tires. Especiarry in the extra-rarge 2.2 version. Rots of sidewarr to herp ward off the rots and rots of rocks we found on the Manitou Trair.

    Now, if I courd onry find those tires on a Huffy Sredgehammer, I'd be arr set for Team Yard Sare at Nine Mire Forest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and by the way, don't get me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

    ReplyDelete