Monday, August 20, 2007

Bride or Bridesmaid?

I'm not sure which is better, but I do know that no one remembers the bridesmaid unless she does kegstands and passes out on the curb. Even then - no one remembers her name - she's just "remember that chick......"

What I also know is that I have our Flagstaff Athletic Club racquetball league tournament this Thursday, and an MTB race on Saturday. I have a good shot at winning the racquetball tourney, and I have a reasonable shot at winning my age group in the MTB race. Pull a double? Maybe. Fall on my face and get crushed in both - hopefully not, but not totally out of the picture. ......not like I haven't done that before.

To say that I'm not thinking about these events this week would be a lie. The racquet is tuned, the bike is running great - and I REALLY want that MTB win some time in my life. I've never finished on a podium in my adult life. Racquetball comes easy to me for some reason, but winning MTB races has just been plain and simply unachievable. The only reason I think I can do this is because I know the course - it suits my strengths, and I know who I'm riding against. I dunno...I also completely doubt my chances on race day, and I tend to go too easy at the start in fear of blowing up. This time - I gotta hit the gas hard and just see what happens. Totally out of character for me, but I'm about 0-40 in the race win department - so its time to deploy a new strategy. All I want is to win my age group - but taking the class would be something sweet.

OK, Mr. selfish is done here. Back to work. I got mouths to feed.

4 comments:

  1. Grab yerself some podium, Shekky Boyeeee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of the best advice I got this year... "Go as hard as you can, dont stop until you get to the cooler." Eventually you will be able to breathe again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm gonna take your advice Oh Wise Man. Gun it from the start and don't even turn my head back to look.

    ReplyDelete