Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Oshastar

Yesterday morning I dropped Lyza off at a vacation bible school. For one, I didn’t get struck by lightening upon entry into the church. Second, this place had a great feeling to it – for a Church that is. It’s a small Methodist church made of stone – probably built in the early 1900’s. The people were friendly, but not “over the top come join our cult” Christian friendly, and the kids were having a great time singing songs about fun/outdoors/with a little JC thrown in because – well – it’s a bible camp after all. I don’t think I’ll ever voluntarily become a member of any organized western religion, but I’ll definitely give Lyza an opportunity to see the facts of religious life in this country. If she’s like me, she’ll bail on the whole concept at age 12. If she’s anything like my sister, she’ll get confirmed for the money and gifts, and then bail on the whole concept at age 18.

After a busy day at the sawmill, I raced home and donned the spandex costume as a front of rain lightly touched down on the west side of town. I haven’t ridden solo much lately, so it felt pretty good to be in “that zone”…..where you’re not redlined keeping up with fast sons a bitches like Wilkens, or on the flip side – stopping every half hour to wait a few minutes for stragglers. The forest was damp, cool, and with my rear tire at 19psi for the climb up Lower Oldham, I was glued to the ground. I spit a little bit of air in the tire at the top and traversed/descended home to a great meal with D and then off to Everyman Land – Target. D hooked me up with a 24oz can of cold Tecate and we just chatted it up until it was time to shut the ol’ engine off ‘round 11pm.

Bodhistar didn’t get lost in the woods for the 12th straight day. I’m gonna re-name him OSHAstar because you know how OSHA gives you those stupid calendars where you chart how many days it’s been since a worker loses an arm? Yeah – it was a good day today.

No comments:

Post a Comment