Monday, June 1, 2009

He's in a spot of bother...

The marathon course was released for the AZ State Mountain Bike Finals. It starts 1/4 mile from my front door, so at least I can get a nice warm up in on the stationary trainer and have my own toilet for the inevitable pre-race 'ria - although what will I really have to worry about besides finishing and still knowing my name after the race?

48 Miles, almost all singletrack, and 8,000 feet of climbing. Eight Thousand Freakin' Feet of climbing. That's insane for a middle age man like me. I'm going to do a trial run on Thursday with my 32x19 gear to see if I can even ride this course competitively. If it will be a true death march on a singlespeed, then I'll drop down to the 24 mile version which will be hard enough. I don't know how the MBAA got permission to use these trails, and I hate to use the word EPIC because not very much really is epic anymore - but I think this f*ckin' course would require a biblical effort from me to finish without being left for dead, or at least a teammate or two to suffer through it. I better start "selling" this as a unique training opportunity to my fellow Red Rock Racers - or some lying angle like that.

Until Thursday......I'll be drinking a gallon of water a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment