Sunday, June 14, 2009

State Finals

It was a bit strange to be mowing the grass in my backyard at 9:00am prior to the state finals at 10:30am. I had walked over to the start line with the dogs around 8:00am, got my stuff and spent some time getting the Rig dialed in - then headed out for the yardwork.

Cwilk and JT rolled over 'round 9:30 and said "get yer damn kit on"! OK, ok, I'm ready to go.

Goooo! went the starter followed by the airhorn. There were 15 of us, and as usual the pace was stupid-fast at the start. I realized after the drop off the starting mesa, I broke a water bottle cage and lost a bottle - no way I was stopping so I'd address a drink shortage later. After 10 minutes the singletrack ended on the forest road that climbs up to the sky. So, I redlined it, and eventually had to back off into a pace - settling in around 8th place or so. Five guys with gears in the class behind us passed me, but I didn't think anything of it because.....well, they had gears and I was still holding my place. As the downhill started, I came up on Cwilk who had flatted. No tube, and no tools to take off his wheel. I was of no help as I only had a 29" tube. I felt bad for him for 1.2 seconds because he absolutely CRUSHED the climb and was in 3rd or 4th place when he lost it, and because he's a good friend of mine. Once those 1.2 seconds were over I wanted to make sure he never saw me again until the finish. Sorry pal, that's racing.

The water crisis was averted as I darted into the feed zone for the marathoners and scammed some water off a spectator. I was starting to have conversations with dead relatives and sing songs by The Wiggles - it was not good. One of my buddies told me after the race that about 3/4 through he was bonking and stopped to pick up some Clif Blocks on the trail that had spilled out of a rider's pocket...his quote was "Oh man they tasted like dirt, but they tasted soooo good!". Love it.

2 hours and just under 23 minutes later I crossed the line with cramps just starting to make themselves known. It felt good to know I had left it all on the course. I had nothing left but hunger and fatigue. 8th place, SS Open class. 9 minutes from the podium, and 10 minutes from last. It felt really competitive, and I rode completely scared of getting caught the whole time. I slept well last night.

2 comments:

  1. Cliff Blocks newest and most requested flavor: Dirt

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just caught up on your last two months of entries. I just started back to work after a glorious two year stint in free grad school. I'm living in Baltimore and commuting to DC - two hours each way! Thanks for giving me something to do while ok the train. - jvc

    ReplyDelete