Monday, November 16, 2009

FB part two

As I mentioned back in August, I got sucked into the world of Facebook once we migrated our team’s communication hub to FB. Here are the stats after a couple of months:

-One message from an old-time fraternity brother who busted my chops for showing up on FB after blasting it last year on this blog site – thanks JVC, you’re like a tape recorder of my life and always there to play back to stupid sh#t I said even 20+ years ago.
-I’m up to around 55+ “friends”, about five of which I could actually call for a no questions asked ride home from a jail cell at 2:30am on a Tuesday.
-I’ve cut links to five people without regret.
-Haven’t got the desire to write on my own page yet – That feels like walking on stage at the local karaoke bar and trying to pull off Abba’s “Dancing Queen”. I’d much rather throw it on this semi-private blog with virtually no audience whatsoever – more like walking into my living room half naked with one blind accidentally open….nothing too shocking for me and certainly not for my lesbian neighbor.
-Not one person from HS has found me, nor have I found them. It completely validates the fact that I was like a black, jagged, asteroid in a galaxy of 2,400 high school stars. Wandering aimlessly down the halls, wanting anonymity in a time when most everyone else wanted notoriety. If they had HS shootings then, I’d have been profiled to and from school just in case.
-My wife and I aren’t FB friends. We socialize with two completely different crowds. We already knew that though.

It doesn’t have me hooked, but it sure has made communication for our team a lot quicker and clearer. For that reason alone, I’m in until the next “must be on” social network comes along.

A few peeps I have run across have something like 750 friends. My wife told me about a dude on her network that has over 2,000 friends. How the? What the? If they had a clue they would hire an agent and sell their accounts to Proctor & Gamble, or Nestle, and get some kind of payback for shamelessly “friending” every molecule on the planet that they cross paths with. Friending – awesome that those nine letters became a freakin’ verb.

Hey Ellen Jo – “Your pal Celine needs friended”.

5 comments:

  1. Here's a little something for your fb page. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REElUors1pQ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn if I don't know all the words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey am I one of the 5 who'd pick you up from jail? I hope I am. Cuz I would.
    Maybe make it Top 6.

    Re.: "...validates the fact that I was like a black, jagged, asteroid in a galaxy of 2,400 high school stars"- I know you've said this before but knowing the superstar you are now I find it hard to fathom.

    Facebook yeah. Love it and hate it equally. Wastes my time, but I do enjoy the commentary and the do-it-yourself news/photos, in real time. I can keep up with every little stupid thing going on in the local zip codes.

    Zzzz.

    Anyone with more than a couple hundie friends is a like that annoying name-dropping jerk you hate. "Oh, I have 3,000 friends".... Really??!
    Define "friend".
    Besides ain't no way you can maintain that many "online friendships" unless your peepers are never off a computer or iPhone screen all day long, and you're that lame-o updating your profile as your cross the street in heavy traffic. In which case, Darwin about to catch up wit cha, holmes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Besides that... the only thing FB is really good for is hearing (from my Chicago homies) week after week how terrible the Bears/Cubs/Hawks played, and/or how terrible the weather is, and/or how everyone has some kinda toxic illness... Freakin broken records.

    ReplyDelete