Tuesday, July 29, 2008

2/3 of the way through the cycling season, and I'm in a slump. Evidence as follows: I was JRA (just riding along) a few days ago on a rough trail, but on a clean 20 yard section....relaxed the brain for 5 seconds and clipped a pedal on a rock - did a flying Superman into the soft, pine needle covered soil. Covered in dirt, ego fractured - but me, OK. My legs feel all right, but they seem to just have a heaviness to them all the time. I'm taking three days off this week to see if that helps. On a great note, I am developing some love for my new geared bike. Spinning the shorter gears has been welcome relief, but, the flow of a singlespeed you just can't get with gears. I'll keep it fo' sho' through the 24 Hours of Moab in October, and then it will be on E-Bay ready to go to a new home.

I'm thinkin' 'bout racquetball season, and playing all of the characters that make up the local club scene. Motormouth Mike, Punk-Ass Paul, Ken the Snowman, Lefty Mike, and so on.....Maybe I am ready for a change of pace sooner than I thought. The camaraderie at the racquetball court is laid back and competitive at the same time. Some of the guys mix in a few Corona's midway and it becomes a great social outlet as well. I'm usually one of the clowns who brings pre-mixed electrolyte drinks and Lara Bars in place of the Corona, but still - it's fun just to be there.

One race coming up in August. I got 2nd last year in sport, but this year I'm entering the Singlespeed category, and there are 5 guys in town that I'll just never beat over a 30 mile course. Ride for Pride....that sounds like some weak slogan doesn't it.

1 comment: