Thursday, July 3, 2008

I get an e-mail yesterday from my teammate RH – one of Flagstaff’s elite level slackers. Late 40’s, working an hourly wage despite his education, and more or less living to ride his bikes. RH represents a measurable but not dominant portion of the population in Flagstaff….cyclists, skiers, and river runners who won’t give up the life for 9-5. I have a lot of respect for these guys in a certain way, but man, at some point when do you look in the mirror and say “I’ve had a great time, but WTF – where did the time go, and how much don’t I have in savings?”

Anyway, RH said he’s heading out on a favorite road ride of ours called the Wupatki loop. 50 miles, a big descent, and a 16 mile climb back up to around 8,000 feet. Bonus – no cars. He also said he is going with “Skinsuit Tim” – he calls him that because he’s the only guy he knows who wears a skinsuit on training rides. I can’t WAIT to see this guy on Saturday. Wupatki is a hot ride – as temps can easily get into the mid 90’s. Who wears a skinsuit on a training ride? I guess Tim does. I’ll get some pics and post them on Monday – I hope he wears a time trial helmet and sports aero bars too on this 81 kilometer time trial with over 4,000 feet of climbing.

Got out again this morning for an hour at sunrise. I wish I could DVR these days and replay them in the winter when the days are short and the trails are covered in snow. Two more days of hard riding, and I’m taking a break on Sunday. I’ll be here tomorrow, but happy 4th to all o’ you who will be playin.

No comments:

Post a Comment