Thursday, August 21, 2008

Remember the band Extreme? If you don’t then you probably have good taste in music. Since I don’t have good taste in music, their song “Stop the World” keeps popping up in my head. Stop the world, I want to get off. Damn these days are going fast. I’m just L-I-V-I-N the American dream of having a mortgage, a yard to work on, a job, a wife and a kid with a couple of dogs, and I wake up and the week is f*cking done. Here I am 40 years into this life and the next 40 are gonna be SNAP – done.

Lyza’s second grade teacher put the hammer down on her and the rest of her classmates. Two book reports a week, and about 1 hour of homework a night. Some parents at the orientation were nodding their heads in approval, and others looked like they just saw a deer in their headlights. All I know is that I’m happy about the difficulty of work expected from her teacher, but I’m gonna have to buckle down to help Lyza handle the volume. Here we go – real world expectations creeping in. Enjoy your young kids even if you have to beat them from time to time because they act like little sh*ts. It’s all playtime until 2nd grade.

My homeboy Ellsie is competing in the Ultra tough Trans-Rockies race starting on Monday. 6 days. 20 miles of running a day. A ridiculous amount of elevation gain each day as well. He’s ready to roll though, and I have to give him a LOT of credit for balancing training with Honey Do’s, and spending time with his kids. The only thing I question is when he says he gets psyched up for a run by listening to Coldplay. WTF? How about Led Zep? Maybe the Pixies or the Clash? Even Beck can get me going a lot faster than listening to Gwenyth Paltrow’s husband croon and wail. Ellsie – good luck and don’t “DFELLS”.

This weekend will bring on a MTB race for me, painting in our 2nd bathroom, and some down time.

Extreme also sang “There’s a hole in my heart that can only be filled by you”. Barf.

3 comments:

  1. My favorite Extreme song was "Do You Wanna (Play with Me)?" from the "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure" soundtrack (c.1989). Does this make me a loser? (I think I know the answer). Does it also make me a loser that I know Gary Cherone's name, and that he replaced Hagar in Van Halen, before DL Roth came back? Ugh.

    I wouldn't wanna go back to grade school and go through all that again, even if it means I am now on the downhill slide to the resthome. No more pencils, no more books, no more teacher's dirty looks! Schoooool's OUT FORrrrEVER!

    Even on my worst day as an adult I don't ever have to come home and write a book report, or study for an exam on the Repeal of the Missouri Compromise, or memorize vocabulary words. (And this is coming from someone who LIKED school).Grade school, high school college--done with all of it...though, I do still have that
    reoccuring dream that I am late for a math test and do not know where the classroom is...

    It must be interesting to relive those skool days 2nd hand via Lyza B.

    Good essay, Christopher. You earn an A-.
    (The minus is for mentioning 80s hair metal)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I (heart)Coldplay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you do Josh. There's a 12-step program for you out there somewhere.

    ReplyDelete