Tuesday, December 30, 2008

“Chris, I’m gonna be honest witcha’”

What the hell is it with this lead in to no less than maybe 20 conversations I had last week? Sure, a guy from Philly probably was responsible for 10 of those lead in’s, but this little “I’ll be honest with you” thing is becoming a farce. When people say it now, I kind of crack a smile and I had one guy say “did I say something funny?” I wanted to tell him, in fact my gut was burning to tell him what I thought was funny, but I didn’t – he was a guest.

I now assume that everything somebody tells me that doesn’t start with “I’ll be honest with you” is a lie. And guess what – that’s a pretty accurate statement. Especially in this business. Christmas Holiday complaints include:

· My skylight is leaking like a river!
To be honest witcha, you couldn’t fill a pitcher of water from it over 48 hours
· All of the heaters in my house don’t work!
To be honest witcha, it’s already 80 degrees but my kids want to wear new shorts
· We’re out of hot water – this is unacceptable!
To be honest witcha, we snuck 4 kids into the house and the hot water is gone
· The Lions are the worst franchise and team in the history of pro sports!
True, that is all too True, Fisher…..

I mean, aside from the anomaly above, how am I supposed to believe anybody anymore? I can't wait for January so we can get through the holidays and "this wretched year".

3 comments:

  1. This is one of you best blog entries recently, to be honest with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha HAA!!! To be honest witcha' I, too, really enjoyed reading this.

    Those guest complaints had me peeing my pants. I loved the one about the kids wanting to wear their new shorts, hence the heat needing to be cranked above 80.

    Happy New Year, pallie! Good things in '09!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris, I gotta lie to ya. This post had no effect on me. It didn't bring up any memories of guests when I was in customer facing positions. I couldn't even picture the look on your face when you were what I would assume to be your calm, attentive, professional self listening to and addressing these completely viable, non-exaggerated, truthful concerns.

    On another note, big props to Fisher's Detroit Lions on their perfect season. Last year some one should have told the Patriots that they chasing their perfect season in the wrong column.

    ReplyDelete