Thursday, April 29, 2010

Florida on the Horizon

In 9 days, meeeeself and my girl D will be on a plane to Siesta Key, FL. For six days I don’t envision doing anything other than sitting in a kayak riding the surf, lying in the warm coke-fine white sand, and getting caught up on some good books. Maybe a run or two on the beach, who knows. My Dad scored a place down there about 10 years back, and he pretty much figured out that it’s a better place to live than Minnesota from November – May. Tough call there.

Until then, we have a nasty little cold front working its way into Flagstaff today through Sunday. High temps in the 40’s, wind, rain and snow. Maybe this is Old Man Winter’s last hurrah. Perfect MTB riding weather. As a big “Eff You” to Old Man Winter, me and the boyz went out last night and hit the singletrack on the south side of the mountains. 4 dudes, 4 singlespeeds, and about 2.5 hours of fun. Nobody was drillin’ it, and I was glad for that because I’m still a weeeee bit sore from Saturday’s effort. After several creek crossings – one that was nearly BB/Hub deep, my feet were soaked and cold when I hit the garage at dusk. Love it.

I have nary a single race on my calendar until October’s Tour of the White Mountains. There are some short term options though; The State Final MTB event is once again being held ¼ mile from my front door on May 22. A sweet Omnium road race that includes Snowbowl Road and Wupatki is the weekend of 6/12. A 104 mile MTB endurance event is the weekend of June 19th just west of town. It’s a good time to be in Flag. I’ve paid no entry fees, and have no commitments though. My back yard needs more attention than these events need my participation. So – I’ll probably skip 2 of 3, ride on my own time, and finish the yard. Don’t quote me on that, because as my Dad loves to remind me “Chris, you were never one who embraced landscaping your yard”. Sprinkle a few seeds, let the stuff grow, trim it every coupla’ years – keep the hot tub clean and go play. That’s my idea of yardwork.

1 comment:

  1. Have fun, pals. Can't wait to hear about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete