Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Stoved up

After you’re done riding your bike…. isn’t it a great feeling when your legs are just cooked? If you’re a meat head, it’s similar to the just post-workout, post pumped up, exhausted euphoria you feel when you can’t turn your steering wheel leaving the gym parking lot. I haven’t lifted a weight in a long time, but I have been riding a fuck-ton considering the 40-hour/week schedule I work around, and it feels great. It seems to go in spurts. 3 days on, two days off. 4 days on, two days off. No free lunch rides either – it’s been great having teammates show up for most sessions and make sure that I’m putting in a legit effort. If you pedal like an Alice or a Nancy, you’re gonna’ hear about it. I give as much as I take from these guys, and hey – that’s what teammates are for.

Wilkens thrashed me last night on the dry mesa. He had a cross bike, and I was riding MTB. I’d catch him on the tech sections, and he’d gap me on the smooth dirt. Catch, gap, catch, gap. I felt like I was chasing a suitcase of $100 bills in an early morning dream, and I could never quite grasp the handle. This was day three of a tough set of windy/cold rides that left me lying in bed last night feeling….done. I love riding with Wilkens because he brings it. No chitty chat about wives, beer, and snowboarding tricks – just “hey, ready to go?”…..and then he throws it down.

Two rest days before Big Steve, Joel and I head to New Mexico. It looks like race day will be graced with 25mph winds, sun, and temps near 70. My goal is 6-7 laps. At least I know about what I’ll feel like come Saturday night. Toasted cheese, indeed......with a big smile on my face!

No comments:

Post a Comment