Thursday, April 1, 2010

Old Peeps

I got my ass handed to me yesterday. A mid-sixties couple came into my office and talked to me about their small Texas town. A local entrepreneur had developed a vision for a wellness center for the community, and this older couple had become involved on the ground floor. They helped with fundraising, and assisting in the conceptual development of the services that would be provided to the community. Six years later, they have a facility that exemplifies the modern definition of wellness, meaning a fusion of medicinal/holistic/prevention/therapy - all available at an affordable cost in this tiny town in Texas. Think of a forward thinking YMCA……..yeah, I’d join that.

It took me about 48 hours to completely digest their story, and realize that getting all wrapped up in national politics only produces two things for me: High blood pressure, and anger. Mon frère, Sr. Ells, volunteered last night to take fundraising phone calls for KNAU, our local affiliate for National Public Radio. I bet he felt great about doing it, and it made a difference in his/my town.

So, once again, an older and wiser couple took me to school without much more than telling me a story in a manner that allowed me to really digest what they were saying. Now I realize why they closed with “what do you like to do for your town?” My lame answer involved attending occasional Chamber mixers, and being sure to shop/dine locally – even though I can be an E-Bay whore. I was about to joke that I even pick up my dog’s poop too, but that was about when their point started to sink in. I’m a f*ckin’ taker.

I get sucked into CNN.com’s headlines, and before I know it, I’m looking solely at big-picture issues. As a hotel GM, that’s what I do all day – address big picture issues….leave the details for the crew. I don’t even see what’s going on around me most of the time because it’s all just…..details. What’s that bumper sticker I’ve seen a million times – “Think globally, act locally”…OK, OK I get it.

Working hard, raising LB, evolving my relationship with D, caring for two dogs, and finding time to ride hard seem to consume 16 hours of every day. Hmmm. How’s this gonna work?

No comments:

Post a Comment