Friday, June 4, 2010

Heatwave

The weatherheads are saying 110 in the wasteland called Phoenix this Sunday, which translates to a high of 87 in our neck of the woods up north. 87 degrees at 7,000 feet – the sun feels like it’s burning a hole in your skin even though it isn’t really all that hot out. SPF 50, baby. The highest temp I can remember in Flagstaff was 92 back when I was in school ‘round 20 years back. That translated to 118 in Phoenix. I spent one summer in Satan’s Lair down south, and when it’s that hot, you just go to the mall, go to the movies, go to the pool, or sit your air conditioned bubble at home until the sun goes down. Even then, the high is freakin’ 90 at night. The summer league basketball games are awesome – you sweat like a mother givin’ birth under the lights, and it’s 10:00 at night.

So this-a-weekend we’ll be riding at 7:00am on Sat, and 5:00pm on Sunday after I put in 8 hours for THE MAN. Mix the riding and work in with stage three of our patio construction – and it’ll be Miller Time all weekend. Got me a road bike 3-stage race a week from tomorrow here in town, and thankfully, it’ll be 10 degrees cooler. One race up Snowbowl road, a second circuit race/crit that afternoon, and then the following day a road race through the high desert. I’ve been riding well on the MTB the past 10 days, and I hope I can keep that mo’ going through next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment