Monday, June 14, 2010

Omnium Stage 1

I didn’t sleep well on Friday night, thinkin’ about the self-imposed pressure of racing with six teammates in the same category. Bragging rights may not last as long as cheap medals and plaques, but acutely speaking, if you suck ass, then your teammates will be there to remind you of your middling performance for years and years. F*ck the medals, that peer pressure is what drives me.

The first stage was a warm-up of sorts – a short 6.5 mile 2000’ climb up Snowbowl road. Nothing I haven’t done a crap-ton of times this winter and spring, but I haven’t done it at race pace in a long while. I wish we could race down it someday, but that would be a liability nightmare – there would be carnage all over the middle of the descent.

Anyway, it was a beautiful, cool morning with temps in the 40’s. I wanted to do Masters 40+, but there were few entrants there and our group of six guys range in age from 26-47, so we opted to slug it out in Cat IV / V. 36 of us took off at 7:06am. I snapped off the back of the lead group after about 1.5 miles in and settled into my groove. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, - 15 riders later I ran out of riders to catch, and legs to push, with the exception of one guy who I got by a half wheel at the line. Ellsie had the cowbell clangin’ at 200 meters and I was glad to finish in a bit over 36 minutes. It was a personal record for me, and I could feel the effort. Won me a small medal for 3rd place that I didn’t stick around to get, but even more important… I got me some solid omnium points and bragging rights over 4 teammates. Mark W. was 30 seconds ahead of me so he took the team lead after stage 1.

The PR for me meant I went a weeee bit too hard. Actually, way too hard. I couldn’t eat solid food all that well when I got home, so D concocted a 1,500+ calorie shake including fruit, peanut butter, milk etc that got me back on track. Just in time, thankfully for stage 2 that was at 4:00pm Saturday afternoon. Here’s a pic of me leading solo break with two laps left.





OK, this is really the break of 2 with me out front and 3.8 miles to go....do ya think I took the win?

No comments:

Post a Comment