Friday, November 2, 2007

Shattered…..

Pride and joy and greed and sex
That's what makes our town the best
Pride and joy and dirty dreams and still surviving on the street
And look at me, I'm in tatters, yeah I've been battered, what does it matter
Does it matter, uh-huh Does it matter, uh-huh, I'm a shattered
-The Stones

I am shattered. I played Dan Dan the Little Man last night in racquetball, and I was cruising to victory. The first game was 15-2, and I was leading the second game 7-5 when he crushed a forehand down the line and I went for it. I went too hard – and I couldn’t stop….and crumpled into the wall. The next thing I knew, I was on the ground looking up. My Oakley ½ Jackets did their job, as they exploded away from my face. The lens popped out, the arm broke free and the frames went flying. No cuts or scrapes, and they snapped back together. I think my headband helped too, because I only had a small knot on my forehead. About 45 seconds later – or so it seemed, my head was woosy and I was back up and playing. Damn close call. I wish I could say I made some dramatic shot – but I didn’t and I lost the point. My cabeza took a while to clear and I started to overheat and my legs turned to jelly. It was weird – possibly semi concussed? I lost that game, but I recovered in time to beat his ass 11-2 in the tiebreaker. Then came Mike the Loudmouth. Calling out the score in crazy clichĂ©s (5 to 5, Double Nickel, I can’t drive 55). He can take his lounge act to the next court, because I didn’t have the patience for it. Our match ended quickly as I wasn’t about to spend too much time on the court with him and I felt it was my duty to whitewash him. I went home, took a couple of Tylenols and crashed like a ton of bricks.

Holy crap this was a busy week with Halloween, and a lot of work mixed in. I’m headed out for a 4-hour fattie ride tomorrow morning in the pines, then off to work for 3 hours and then on the Phoenix for a b-day party. One of my college buds turns 39. He’s a spring chicken amongst the rest of us who start turning 40 next month. I have to say I’m pumped about turning 40 since I get to race in the 40-49 category soon.

Tech Notes:
-Rather than buying a new wheelset, I converted my Bontrager Rims with Stan’s Tubeless….$80 versus $450. Easy call there. new WTB Exiwolfs too.....28psi here I come!
-3 committed for Old Pueblo so far....anyone else wanna come play?

Enjoy your weekend, and go Vikes

No comments:

Post a Comment