Tuesday, January 20, 2009

So you have a facebook account because....

1.) You love to get scads of e-mails each day that say “Tommy is reading Freakonomics with his twin cats Aldo and Biko at his feet”
2.) You enjoy telling people your current ‘status’: “I’m walking hand in hand on a naked only beach with a chocolate covered midget named Louie and we’re eating strawberries and drinking champagne as the sun goes down”
3.) You love to get “friend requests” from random acts of societal dysfunction like the assclown that sat behind you in American Government in 8th grade?

You might have a Facebook account if:
-You don’t have any kids to raise*
-*notable exception – You’re a stay at home mom who needs a social network of other miserable stay at home moms
-you’re a Club owner who markets wisely on the cheap
-you’ve got more issues than an airport newsstand

Call me old, call me crazy, call me anti-social media networking non-Blackberry, non-I Phone having……whatever……but I missed the point of MySpace, and now I simply cannot get on this runaway train called Facebook. My great pal Sheck finally caved last week and said something to the tune of “Dude, I’ve had it…..I can no longer keep up with the demands of my own webpage, a Flickr account, a MySpace page, and a Facebook page”. “It’s taking 2 hours a day, and I’m DONE”. Consider another friend who lamented about “turning down a friend request from someone I barely know and feeling guilty about it”. Wow. We all have enough peer/societal pressures already – and ya think we need more from self-inflicted punishment websites like Facebook?

Are you with me? If you’re not…..and you still like your little Facebook account, then why don’t you sign up for this. You can dress your pets up, share pictures, tell others what your pets are doing right now, and maybe even pee on each others walls. Good times!

2 comments:

  1. You are right! I just read a story about Axl Rose that implied that his disappearance off the face of the earth (until recently) was far more noble than the current status quo which is omnipresent on the internet, Myspace, Facebook, pouty self portaits, Twittering, blogging, and exhibiting a general diarrhea of the super-ego! (or is that the id? The super id? Anyway, you get my point.)
    I think I may too have to pull and Axl Rose (less the terrible cornrow weave) and go into hiding for 2 decades.

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was standing in a line last night and I overheard a mother/daughter conversation.
    Mom: Is Ally going to be here tonight?
    Daughter: I doubt it. Her facebook just told me that she's going to see a movie. I think it was Button. (referring to the current B Pitt movie I would assume)

    All I could think was that I certainly would want my whereabouts known at all times by all my friends. If you think I'm important enough to keep that kind of tabs on me, you really need to involve yourself in something more to keep you much more and better occupied.

    ReplyDelete