Sunday, February 8, 2009

Winter isn't over just yet

With a semi-bum wrist still healing from that little tumble last Wednesday, I decided to hit the slopes instead of doing any winter riding. Saturday was a typical grunt up the slopes under gray skies, but at 11,000 feet I was surprised to break through the clouds and was treated to a pretty spectacular view – the kind you get from a plane – looking down on the swath of cloud cover below. Some good snow was remaining along the treeline, and home by 8:30am - it was a good start to the day. It started snowing hard around midnight, and I woke up at 4:45am on Sunday to 7 inches of powder.

The Sunday drive up to the slopes was fun enough – rally style – with the Subaru sliding through the corners…semi-bald tires helped too. The snowcats were out early so I benefited from being able to walk in packed powder on the lower slopes. Then, I turned off onto a run called Lava, and post-holed slowly up the grade as the powder got deeper and deeper. The catwalk at the top of Lava had been groomed and I got to recover on it as I traversed over to the last trail to the top which was partially groomed. It would have taken another hour in powder – so I gladly hiked up the groomed section for 20 more minutes to the 11,500 foot marker. The upper bowl was open, but just yesterday it was bare – with huge volcanic boulders showing everywhere. I think that route down would have trashed me and my board.

The ride down Ridge was one of those moments that I hope dementia or Alzheimer’s never takes from me. I took a few photos just in case. It was a 2,300 vertical foot drop on air through completely untracked snowfields with no-one around….until the last section where I sped by a line of marching ants with boards and skis making the pilgrimage to the top before the masses with lift tickets cut their curves into the powder.

We’re getting another 8”-12” today, with more snow in the forecast next weekend – ironically, the same weekend as the 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo. I’m glad I skipped that event this year.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photo, Sheck. Like a dream. You're so lucky to have had that adventure, semi-bum wrist and all.
    You are a (former supposed) adrenaline junkie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As Valentines weekend... AKA 24 Ol Pueble weekend... gets closer, I am feeling a little nostalgic and dissapointed to not be there. It is just so much FUN!!!

    ReplyDelete