Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Say What?

I walk in the door last night sounding like an escaped insane asylum detainee. I swore I wouldn't have time to ride in Sedona this week and that work was really important right now - and then I promptly packed all of my cycling gear and left it sitting by the front door. D was looking at me like I was wearing a straight jacket. She asked me if I was going to ride today, and I said "I have no idea, probably not, but maybe". I offered aimless rants like "I need to work more, I need to work less". "I have a race this coming weekend, yet how can I possibly race if I haven't been riding at all?" "I'm fortunate to have a job, but it's taking over my life!". Being a typical guy, I usually express myself with answers like "yes", and "no". She was amused by a sudden flowing of colorful, mixed up answers.

I do know one thing. I have a solid intuition when it comes to work. I know when to burn the candle at both ends and when I can fuck off. Right now, it feels like I ought to be burning at nearly full throttle. Despite perfect weather, sunny days, and a tuned up bike - it stayed home today in the garage as it should. Instead of making resolutions to cope with this crap, I'm going to take a lesson from every NFL player who gets interviewed on National TV and substitute cliches for real answers....seems like a great coping mechanism.

Q: Chris, how are you going to handle the crippling economic downturn in your industry?
A: "I'm just gonna take it one day at a time"

Q: You're not riding much, and you are a shell of your potential....does this drain you mentally?
A: "It is what it is. I'm just going to give 110% and Good Lord willing we'll see some results"

Q: How are you juggling your fledgling career, being a father, and saving pennies for the future?
A: "You just have to keep your ducks in a row, and do what you have to do. We'll see how it all turns out"

Q: Your business is down 15% and your owners want to know why?
A: "Hey, everything happens for a reason. We don't want to compare apples to oranges, so we'll just put our heads down and work through it"

Thanks for the insight
"Anytime"

1 comment:

  1. Great interview. Thanks for answering those tough questions that had to be asked.

    ReplyDelete