Thursday, April 30, 2009

What's my motivation? THAT'S my motivation!

Oh man, do I love the year-long membership I bought to www.cycling.tv Every significant cycling event starts live around 5:30am, and then you can watch the tape anytime after the event – in a quality hi-res picture. Plus they feature British commentators who make the Lance Armstrong ass kissing Al Trautwig’s of the Discovery Channel / Versus Network look like the rookie joke douche bags that they are. Combine the fact that you have great events, excellent camera work, snarky British commentators who load up the commentary with sarcasm, and not a single commercial – Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner my friends!

Consider the grand tours - Is the stage shaping up to be a bunch sprint? No problem – fast forward to the last 10K and eat your tofu dinner with the best part of the race. Climbing stage with a mountaintop finish? Fast forward it to the base of the final climb, and kick it back after a hard day working in the yard with a cold brewski watching the skinny gifted climbers make you look like a fat slog who couldn’t climb a step ladder. Time trial stage? Skip the lame teams and watch Saxo Bank, Astana, and Cervelo slug it out by just tuning in to the last 30 minutes of the event.

This is how cable television should work – buying a la carte channels based on your own interests, but it never will. Who cares! – As long as there are options like this for sport specific coverage, I’m happy to fork over $99/year. So here’s the plan for May since I want to freakin’ REPRESENT at the 24 Hours of 9 Mile Forest in July:

The Giro d’Italia is on from May 9th through the end of the month. In addition to training outdoors, I’m going to ride the rollers every night there is a stage – 21 nights I believe. Could be 10 minutes on the trainer, could be 2.5 hours. I could have water bottles in my cages or cans of Tecate. Doesn’t matter, I get to watch 21 great races, ON DEMAND with my time schedule, every day. This is like 3 weeks of Christmas when you’re 6 years old. I’d rather do this than go to Hawaii for a week that’s how pathetic I am. So – a heavy training month of May, some rest in June, and ready to kill by the end of July. Just REPRESENTIN’ Flagstaff AZ in Wisconsin, that’s all.

1 comment:

  1. Thats a lotta talk. Plan on bringing an extra set of legs cause we are ripping the first one off!

    ReplyDelete