Thursday, August 6, 2009

Coolin' It

Sitting in my office yesterday, the temp read 84 - we don't have A/C. Not exactly a great temp for brilliant thinking and/or analyzing spreadsheets. Head bobs a plenty, and staying awake by drinking about 200oz of water which forced me to get up and pee every hour. Finally, the work day ended and I met Ellsie, his buddy Joel, and a new face - Scottie for a group ride up to the ski station at Snowbowl.

About three miles in, it started raining -hard - and it didn't let up until about 1/4 way up the climb. The temp went from 80 to 60 which felt so good I was smiling between the road slime and water streaming down my face. I was soaked to the bone, my cycling shoes were squishing with each downstroke, and it felt great. Scottie and I chatted it up all the way to the top, but pushed a pretty good pace while we were at it. Ellsie and Joel worked their way up about eight minutes later. It turned out to be the first time Joel had completed the climb. He was pretty stoked and I don't blame him. We take the climb for granted because we've done it so many times, but I still remember the first time I went up in 1986 (when it was a dirt road) and it felt pretty good to get to the top.

The drop back down was f'n cold, and I didn't entirely trust my tires on the corners, but they stuck and nobody went down for an asphalt alpine slide ride.

D dialed in a great pasta dinner, and before I knew it I was in bed 15 minutes after Lyza crashed - around 9:45. Old Man alert here....Up at 5, asleep by 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment