Friday, August 14, 2009

POS

A couple of nights ago, I misjudged a rut and nearly taco’d my front wheel. The explosion of Stan’s sealant was something to see as it soaked the trail around the wreckage. ½ hour later after messing with the rim strip, tube, tire, a crooked stem, disc brake - I was back riding with a huge ding and a wobbly rim…..home at 11:00pm and thankful that I didn’t have to hike out of the woods the last 3.5 miles. My fork was bottoming out too, leading me to believe that it’s having issues with the seals.

The Rig is beat…

This morning I went out with my bud Hardman – leaving his garage ‘round 6am. It’s always nice to ride with this guy. He’s got the best bikes, and an attitude about biking and being outside that matches his passion for frames/forks/wheels/accessories. We made our way up into the foothills on tacky soil and screamed back to town before anyone was out. It’s one of the quietest rides I can remember as the air was completely still.

Sully fixed my taco’d wheel last night before the ride this morning and it rode well. He said “I don’t recommend a person of your size riding on this wheel much longer”. Followed by “It’ll taco or you’ll blow a few spokes and it’ll cave under the weight – faceplant material for sure”. Followed by “When I worked at the bike shop we put these wheels on the cheap bikes and they aren’t designed to last long – plus they are shit-ton heavy”. There’s nothing like being told the wheelset you have ridden on, raced on, and used for 3+ years is a complete piece of shit. Considering the entire bike was barely over $1,000 brand new back in ’06 – I should have expected it.

Time for a new ride.

1 comment: