Tuesday, August 25, 2009

PBR ME

Having a little residual pain from hard training is pretty much business as usual. A pip of Advil and a coupla' beers and everything is back to normal. After last weekend’s double dip that went way deep into the forest and close to my physical capabilities, my right knee is – for the first time ever – sore below the kneecap. I have a serious aversion to joint injuries, torn ligaments, tendons, bone chips all that crap. You could show me a gunshot wound and I’d be interested, but if you show me my own X-Ray of a broken wrist, I’ll faint. I should know, I've woken up on gurneys twice after seeing x-rays. Real tough guy, huh. Sports slo-mo replays of knee and ankle injuries - I turn the other way, no exception.

WTF?

It all started many years ago when I ran the Whiskey 50 half marathon in Prescott off the couch. I’d been running occasionally and was riding occasionally and figured what the hell, 2 hours max – how hard can that be? I didn’t even look at the course profile. Tuned out to be 6.5 miles way up and 6.5 miles way down. It kicked my ass – the descent to the line was the worst part. The end result was 3 days of walking like a duck, followed by a slight tick in my knee from time to time that makes me wince – and has stayed with me ever since. Nice training dillweed, why don’t you write a book and preach your tried and true methods?

So if Gephyrophobia is the fear of knees, then I’d say I suffer more from something along the lines of messedupgephryophobia. The good thing is, I’m half smart, and I won’t resume riding until it goes away. Coincidentally, for many lame reasons, I still have half of a half barrel of PBR beer in my trunk - left over from last weekend. 7.75 gallons = 992 ounces = 82.67 cans of beer. Hmmm. Cross season doesn't start for a month and I don't even ride cross, so I could conceivably finish that keg. Hmmm.

5 comments:

  1. Half smart = half ???


    Hey, PBR me ASAP. CX season is soon. Get the cowbell warmed up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You gonna get that Rocky Mountain built in time?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1/2 a 1/2 keg of PBR in the trunk of your KIA?
    Holy shmokes. I do not know what is more insane about that scenario. The idea that it is 82 cans of Pabst, or that it! IS! PABST!

    Enjoyed this post and how you rail on yourself for running a 1/2 marathon "off the couch". Fainting at an x-ray of your own broken wrist.
    Ha haaa! You are killing me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still wanna know why your KIA has more beer in it than my beerator! CW (aka Kym on the post) - too lazy to set up my own account ;)~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kym - Naughton skunked it by letting it sit in the sun on Sunday. I committed a Class 1-Felony (In Wisconsin) and drained it into the storm runoff by my driveway.....sad day, I know

    ReplyDelete