Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Leadville

Leadville, CO is 10 hours one way in the Kia. I want to drive out there this weekend and hoot and hollar at the top of Columbine Pass or the Powerline Climb at the Leadville 100. Last year was a circus because Lance showed up at the last minute, but this year will be a complete carnival with Lance showing up with advance notice and with a mission of crushing the course record. Apparently he's bringing a small army of riders to help pace him to victory. I wouldn't put it past him - he lost last year and he's out for revenge.

Instead, I'll probably follow the live updates online and amble on up there one of these years to compete - did I just say 'compete'? What I meant was I want to ride in this classic. Finishing that beast in under 9 hours is a pretty fine achievement. The big guns could crack 6:30 this year. I've attempted to get in to this race only once, and I didn't make the lottery selection. I think I'll try and do it for my 50th birthday.

Work has been owning my ass ever since I got back from Wisco. How-ev-a, things will lighten up this weekend and going forward into mid-August. Actually, things lighten up tomorrow morning as I'll find 3 hours to shred the forest from 6am-9am before heading down the mountain to the sawmill. Summer has peaked here - but the traces of fall (45 degree mornings, slightly shorter days, changing vegetation) are welcomed by me. Time to get the hot tub going again, and maybe put the fleece jacket on the coathanger.

1 comment:

  1. While following the event, watch for the Hirsch bros, they're out there givin' it a go.

    ReplyDelete