Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Stars and sh*t

Four crazy motherf*ckers showed up last night for the Monday night hill climb. Actually, it was quite warm with the temp reading 34 and balmy at the start. Once again, MG took off with freshly-embrocated legs and it took me about 3.5 miles of the 6 mile climb to reel him in. I still have not gone down the path of embrocating my legs before riding, but based on the way he launched himself out of the gate, it may be worth a try. We rode to the top together, of course, sprinting it out to the line. That seems crazy in February, but it’s all about fun and pushing yourself ‘till you can’t breathe no’ mo’. We regrouped with CW and BH, put on some layers, and dropped by Braille back to the bottom. The moon was out a bit, so the road was pretty easy to follow at high speed, but a few dark spots on shade covered curves kept us honest.

The stars……wow, people pay admission to IMAX theatres to catch a miniature version of what was out last night. Orion, Cassiopeia, just a bunch of freakin’ constellations that were so bright and wide. I barely passed Astronomy, so I don’t even know what the hell I’m talkin’ about – all I know is that it was gorgeous.

It was a nice capper to a great weekend. Even though I spent Sunday at work, thing were smooth as butter. I think the warm temps and sun just put a great vibe on every guest. We had some memorable family time, capped by Lyza drawing a valentine of Me, D, and her that said “One big happy family!” I don’t forget that stuff because it reminds me that we’re doing some things right, and she is beaming with self confidence. I know that her self confidence is as important as academics right now.

One of my closest friends going back to NAU days, Topper, just quit his 6-fig job because if he didn’t he would either have a heart attack, or an emotional breakdown. He’s headed for a lifestyle change that may pay the bills, and not leave a lot left for discretionary spending. He’ll be riding his bike 4 times a week instead of traveling overseas 2 weeks a month. He gets to raise his kids, and see his wife. I’d call him a grade ‘A’ stud for getting off the gerbil wheel during a recession and making a change. That’s the kind of news I love hearing about.

Numerous racing opps this weekend – crits and MTB races down south. Or, just ride in Sedona and enjoy the tacky singletrack? Me love me some late February time in AZ baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment