Monday, May 17, 2010

Y'all can keep that thing you call Florida

I'd never done a 40 mile road ride with 137 feet of elevation gain until we rode Longboat Key via Sarasota Florida last week. What a trip. I kept thinking the road would go up or down - and it did - at two drawbridges between the keys. I can see why there are so many d-bags with aero bars out there. Flat, flat, and more flat.

We had a good time at my Dad's place on Siesta Key. Between kayaking, road riding, and beach time - 5 days flew by and we were on our way home to AZ. Save for a 20 hour delay in Houston, the trip was a smashing success.

On the other hand, it sure made me excited to get home. I think the mountains are a part of my mental makeup. I missed riding in the dirt, the wind whistling through the pines, and just the landscape in general. If somebody offered the following: "You can have a mansion on the beach in Florida with a 60' cigarette boat and a Vietnamese maid, or a modest abode in the mountains around Telluride with brand new gear for all four seasons - your choice, but you can't have both". Since I couldn't afford the rocket fuel for the off shore racing V-hull, I'd take the Unibomber place any day of the week and visit Florida when I could.

Last night after coaching the Light Blue Lightening to their 5th win in 6 games (Yo Big Steve - Maribel has blossomed into a FORCE out there!), I went out for an early evening MTB ride. Just 50 minutes, that's all. That was all I needed to feel whole again. Other than a couple of guys from Phoenix scoping out next weekend's State Finals course, it was quiet with a capital Q. Love me some Flagstaff. Y'all can keep your Florida thing over there.

No comments:

Post a Comment