Sunday, January 7, 2007


BALANCE - I spend a lot of time working on creating a definition of this word that works for me. Based on Webster's definition, I see a lot of people who are out of balance. The range from highly respected professionals, to world-class athletes, to bums on the corner. I don't think balance is important to a lot of people, rather, its easier to strive to be great at one thing, surrounding yourself with peers who praise your successes and support your quest towards expertise.

For me, balance is the daily battle to provide for my family, grow my relationships with D and Squirty, keep myself in good physical/mental condition, and keep in touch with family and friends. What seems to fall out of balance more often than not is the priority of my physical and mental health.

There are two phrases I don't have any tolerance for. 1.) "I don't have time" 2.) "That is unacceptable" I'll address #2 some other time. What people really mean when they utter #1 is "That is not a priority for me". #1 really comes down to part of the daily balance of our lives.

A new work week starts tomorrow, and I'm ready to make another run at balancing my life. As any Minnesotan says "It could be worse". Yeah - it could. I'm middle-class, educated, and my family is in great health. These are good times indeed. Balance - my definition? I'm still working on that.

CB
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment