Wednesday, January 17, 2007

The Gym

After a 1-year absence, I have decided to hit the weights for my upper body again. Why? Because I'm weak. My arms have shriveled into cyclist arms. Muscle tone? Zero. Strength? OK - but not good. So I ambled on over to the gym last week twice. The first day I took it reaaaaally easy, and was rewarded with little soreness. The second time, I let 'er rip, feeling strong the first time back. I totally overdid it, and have had to take a 2-day break. I can barely get my dress shirt on due to shredding what is left of my pectorals and triceps. But ya know what? I feel pretty psyched to get back into this. One aspect that I like about this is that I go around 9pm - after I put Lyza to bed - so the place is quiet and I can get a lot done in around an hour. I have realistic goals, and its also some solid "quiet time" for myself. I'm like most Gen -X gym rats, I don't talk to anyone unless I have to, I wear headphones, and I'm selfishly into my routine. Hey - that's what works for me.

The biggest reason I'm back in the gym is because I don't feel as self-confident when I'm feeling physically weak. Also, turning 39 didn't mean much to me mentally, but after playing in the snow a couple of weeks ago, using muscles I haven't used in a while - I was like a gimpy old man.

So, my ultimate goal is to stay at the same weight of 190 so I don't lose any speed on the bike this summer, and to just feel better about the fact that if I'm in better overall shape I can play any sport any day and feel OK. The Men's A-level racquetball league starts in 3 weeks, and I WILL be ready to tear those punk b*tches up....

1 comment:

  1. http://blackdogandjj.blogspot.com/2006/12/winter-training-thoughts.html

    and here... http://blackdogandjj.blogspot.com/2006/01/headcase-part-1.html

    Some of my thoughts on the gym. But you do bring up a good point about overall fitness.

    ReplyDelete