Tuesday, January 9, 2007

John McCain

He is one of the frontrunners for the GOP ticket in the '08 election. I have seen him make a political progression from Independent to moderate Republican since he lost his bid in '00, properly situating himself to be a frontrunner in the 2008 GOP primary. He spoke today about supporting our Prez's new stance on Iraq - adding 20K plus troops.

McCain has said, for as long as I can remember, that we either fully commit to Iraq, or get the h*ll out. I remember a speech he gave last winter that is probably a heck of a lot like the one that our Prez will give tomorrow night.

The problem here is that our Prez is a year (or two or three) late on his new stance, and about 3 trillion $ in the hole + thousands of lives sacrificed for......

My point is about McCain though. Here he is about 15 months ahead of campaigning for the GOP ticket talking about 'doing what he feels is right'. He could easily get on the moderate/Dem side of the fence and oppose our Prez - which would likely catapault him into a very popular position with moderate conservatives, Dems and Independents - giving him a huge edge in a popular vote contest. BUT.... it might not even get him out of the Republican primary.

Is he or isn't he - speaking from the heart. I think he is just because his stance has not changed on Iraq. I would have voted for McCain in 2000 if he had won the primary, and I'm a hella' lot more left than right. We could 'shoulda, woulda, coulda' all day about "what if Bush lost again in 2000 (you know he lost, right?! I sure hope you know that). I just know Iraq wouldn't be nearly the clusterf*ck it is now.

I don't even want to hear Bush talk tomorrow night. I can get all the 'waxing nostalgic', cliche's, and rhetoric I need from the books on my night stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment