Thursday, March 13, 2008

Spring Break

is upon us here at work. The families are starting to roll in, and the hijinks on the canyon road to our resort are just beginning. Tanned collegians hanging out of Jeeps - one with a sign that said "Will work for drinks". Original.

My spring breaks at NAU were pretty tame because I always had a girlfriend, and I never had any money. Except for one year. Me and T-Bone took off for Tijuana in my oh so, well not really at all sweet Mazda 626. Drivin' across the desert at night, listenin' to Bobby Brown, Book of Love, Tone Loc, yeah....good stuff. We arrived in San Diego early the next morning, and we went to grab a cheap room since we were pretty tired from the drive. TOTAL no-tel Motel in town - so far from Mission Beach that the only chicks we were hanging with were homeless or toothless or both. Up early the next day and down to TJ. I remember crossing the border with $40 in my wallet which I was told would go a looong way. We parked at the border and took a cab into town.

The stench, the decrepit buildings behind the facades, the offers to 'meet pretty ladies', and the countless dudes who were trying to get us to go down into basements for a little 'action'. I ended up getting fleeced for an "eelskin" wallet - it was really rare according to Jorge. $12. SOLD. We were so scared to eat the food so we went to a Denny's and acually ordered hamburgers - you know that meat was fresh off the pavement in the form of a dog about an hour before we ate it. The bill was $19. I spent the rest on Tecate and forgot we needed a ride back to the border. We scraped together $4 or so and I arrived back in the states with a stomach ache, a buzz, and a sweet new wallet.

1 day later we were at Mission Beach, where we should have been instead of Tijuana. I don't remember scoring with any Cali beauties, but I do remember body surfing in some 4' surf that was a blast. Even back then I was more into the adrenaline stuff more than the chix.

10 days later, the Eel was wearing off the wallet and I was left with vinyl. I kept it out of spite and stubborness for 9 months. Spring Break 1987 - Woo Hoo Party!

1 comment:

  1. Dude, Book of Love? I haven't heard or thougth of them in years. Sweet story. Got me chuckling... mostly due to the fact that if I check my memory banks I'm sure I have one or a few like that? A stomach ache, a buzz, and a sweet new wallet. Love it.

    ReplyDelete