Monday, July 6, 2009

No drop, relaxing ride

The e-mail said something to the effct of "Sunday afternoon ride - recovery from the 4th of July debauchery. No drop, relaxing ride". I brought my neighbor Jay, and we rolled over to meet CW and Joth. Never trust an e-mail like that because it depends entirely upon who shows up. As 'sconnie buddy JB says "it's always good to ride with a group - makes you go harder". Yup....I agree.

2 minute warm up and we were climbing hard because I took a hard right onto Rocky Ridge and I could hear the groans behind me - he he - I wanted to pound those bitches into the ground. Jay peeled off after an hour of being redlined, and the three of us kept going up until CW dropped me and pulled away.......Joth and I met him a minute later at the 9,400 foot mark on the top of Elden on the hottest day of the year so far - 82 degrees. I could feel the Minnesota layoff had clipped my endurance a bit, but fortunately, just a bit. The downhill ride home was well worth the sweatfest climb as we chose some switchback trails to lengthen the time going down. After an hour and a half of climbing, you can't blow you wad in 10 minutes going down the shortest route back to town, or it all seems for naught. I rolled into the garage a little after 7pm. Dinner was waiting with the girls and it capped a great weekend of 4th of July fun.

2 comments:

  1. Its always a race.

    Speaking of races...dont worry about being ready for our 24hr singletrack adventure. We have done enough of these to know by late night its all mental and know one would argue we are definately mental.

    ReplyDelete