Tuesday, May 1, 2007


Her shirt definately says it all. It's too bad Basso's jersey didn't say DOPER. At least we know where we stand with this ditch witch.

Somebody asked me the other day why I don't care that much about all the drugs in cycling. I said that in football, you get suspended 4 games for a positive 'roids test. In baseball, you get a 20-game rest the first time you are caught. There is no drug testing in the NHL, and if anybody is on 'roids that golfs?! I mean, look at that - none of the other sports leagues really take it very seriously, which makes me feel pretty good about the steps that cycling has taken to eliminate drug users. Barry Bonds is about to break the HR record in baseball and there is no way he could have done it without 'roids....so don't tell me cycling is any more tainted than a leisure sport like baseball. Christ, if it weren't for the Twins, I wouldn't even know what teams were in the league anymore.

Speaking of Golf, I would love to re-open the topic of weather or not golfing is a sport. I say no. I say its an activity, a leisure activity. Bocce ball or lawn darts could have become as popular as golf since they require the same level of fitness, but, guys love golf because they get outta the house/yard for 6 hours per round and they can get lit up on beers in a socially acceptable environment. There was an article comparing Tiger Woods' achievements versus Roger Federer's. Tiger is the king of golf, and I love to watch him aggressively hammer that ball - but that still doesn't make it a sport. Tennis will kick your ass - and tennis players can be elite athletes. I have no point, other than to just simply say to all you golfers out there who say that's your favorite sport - c'mon - just own up to the fact that you like to spend your weekends f'n around and drinkin' beers. You could get the same amount of exercise mowing your lawn with a cooler of Fosters Oilcans.

3 comments:

  1. i view sports as the merging of skill with athleticism.

    golf is a sport, but skewed much more to the skill side of the spectrum. but i have to say i still get sore when i play 18 which indicates some athletisim being required.

    i've never gotten sore playing crochet or bocce ball.

    file this under the most incoherent comment ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I organize/associate athletics with beer drinking. If you can drink before or during the activity and still be "competetive" it is a hobby/activity.
    If you have to wait until you are done and have a beer as a reward it is a sport.

    For more info read my book "Everything I need to know in life I learned from beer drinking"

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love that book.

    ReplyDelete