Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Last night was a struggle. I looked at my rollers, they looked at me, and we both said 'uh no'. Then, I vainly glanced at a picture of me taken at a mountain bike race last summer. It was snapped with about 400 yards to go in a 20 mile race. I had just moved into second place and the 3rd place guy was about 5 seconds behind me. If I wanted to get to that place again, my rollers and I had to work out a deal.

We did.

I went to www.hulu.com and played the 70's blaxploitation flick Penitentiary. Hopped onto the rollers with my heart rate monitor, and spun for 20 minutes. I had no luck or motivation in getting my heart rate above 105. So, I went to switching off pedaling one leg at a time. That did it and got me to the hour mark. The movie? If you are able to see the intentional and unintentional comedy then it is pretty fun to watch. I lasted 1/2 way and figured I'd cue it up next time I'm on the rollers to watch the rest.

A good ol' buddy of mine, www.ellenjo.com, often sent(ds) me obscure VHS tapes and cassettes as a joke. I attempted to reciprocate, but I could never match her .99 cent store titles like: Mel Gibson's Payback on VHS (en espanol with subtitles no less), a Richard Marx "live" cassette, and I'll never forget the copy of "Swayze Dancing" that she gave me in VHS format. I haven't watched the movies, but I did listen to the Richard Marx tape when I last had a tape deck in my car. That little dude definitely cashed in on his sweet Shorty-Longback mullet (business up front, party in the back). Thinking back to the 80’s, I think R. Marx started the acid washed jeans trend too.

See what happens when I train indoors? I can’t wait to get outside again.

1 comment:

  1. Jamal Fanakka's Penetentiary 1,2AND 3--- maybe there was a part 4,5,6....

    Jamaal Fanakaa!! Yeah boyee!

    Boy, you crazy. Cannot believe you watched Penetentiary, AND listened to Richard Marx cassette (though not at the same time-- I pity the fool that attempts that--your brain will explode like in that bad 1980s horror flick "Scanners")

    ReplyDelete