Monday, January 4, 2010

Catchin' Up

Over the course of the holidays my wife managed to rebound the Kia off of a bank of ice, and drive the Subie into one of those metal barriers that protect gas pumps from being taken out by errant drivers. Now I completely understand why they are there.

So I take the Kia to a bodyshop last week and they offer me the “restore it to new” quote of around a grand, or the “just reattach the ground effect” quote of $125. It’s a Kia….$125 thank you very much. We picked up the car this morning and as I sped (relative term) off to work, D got a quote to repair the side of the Subie. He looked at it, looked at her, looked at it again, and said “Do you bake”. She said hell yeah I bake. He said “Bring some cookies in for the guys and we’ll have this done in a half hour. I should have had her take the Kia in too. Do you bake? Too funny. Sometimes I wish I were a 5’ 3” brunette with a nice smile and a cute dog in tow.

Bike. Race. This. Sunday. I have ridden exactly 2x in the last month and I’m hoping that I can get by on running fitness, and not a lot of it. I’m the early favorite for DFL in the Singlespeed open class against the Phoenix/Tucson group who are tanned and trained. But…I don’t care. I need the mileage, and temps in the high 60’s are gonna’ feel good on my pasty white skin. My goal is to use these early races to produce a solid showing at the Whiskey 50 at the end of April in Prescott. That race kicked me to the curb two years ago, and I haven’t forgotten the cramps that set in during the 4th hour. It was, in two words, an awakening. An awakening as to how much pain I can endure without going fetal.

Man, back to work today and it’s like the sh*t hit the fan on the back of one of those gator boats in the Everglades. I can see sh*t for miles and miles. But – I’m takin’ the time to wolf down a huge-ass plate of D’s chiliquilas so my metabolic rate doesn’t slow down, or some sh*t like that. I don’t know what the hell I’m talkin’ bout. D says : “just eat the food and all will be good.” OK, I’m all in.

I took JD’s freeride bike around the block yesterday. The headtube is so slack I could ride a wheelie 50 yards, but at yard #51, I dropped the front end hard which burped the front tire, and tossed my ass off to the side….bent his derailleur hanger too. I need to stay on the dirt.

3 comments:

  1. Just eat the food and all will be good. I need me sum o dat food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can airmail her out for a week....in July when it's warm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may drive out in spring just so she can send me off with a cooler full of goodies.

    ReplyDelete