Wednesday, April 25, 2007

SNOWBOWL

Usually around this time of year, we are only 2 weeks removed from ski season and the road up to Snowbowl is laden with cinders so cars can get up the road. This year - skiing ended in March, and the road is perfectly clean and ready to ride.

I got out this morning and rode up the climb 3 miles for a warmup, back down to the bottom, and then the full 6 mile climb. 40 minutes flat at about 85% effort - I never went into the red zone maxing the heart rate at around 168. Total ride time of 2:15. That doesn't mean much does it. Here's some perspective:

My previous personal best is 38 minutes
The 'record' is 26 1/2 minutes by a local pro
Anything under 40 is considered to be pretty good by the local club riders

So it's only April, and I feel pretty good about putting in a 40 minute effort over the 6 mile climb that gains 2000 feet of elevation (7000 - 9000). My goal by August is to shave 4 minutes off my time and get down to 36 minutes. That's still 10 minutes behind the top dude in town. It's frightening how fast some guys and chicks can go up that "hill".

OK - enough f'n around...I don't get paid to ride in perfect weather. I gotta go to work from 2pm - 10pm tonight. Better get rollin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment