Sunday, February 10, 2008

Good fun, good times, good Lord there's a lot of ice on my roof..

Time goes too fast, most of the time. My Mom and her hub came up for the weekend and stayed at Junipine. That seemed to be the best way to get them up to Northern Arizona in the winter. It's crazy that they have never stayed there - I have been there for the better part of the last 10 years. It was great to see them both.

Saturday morning, Lyza and I packed it up and headed south to meet them. The three o' dem went on a hike, and I hit the roadbike to ride from Sedona to Jerome and back. Sheck - I knocked on your front door, and the only one home was barky boy Floyd. Both parties finished in 3 hours. Lunch, playtime, dinner, DONE. It was a great day. Followed by a quick breakfast this morning, and we were back in Flagstaff for the warmest day since November - it was nearly 50 degrees. Unfortunately, with all of the snow we have had, everyone's gutters have pack ice, and the constant freezing/melting is rotting many north facing roofs in town. I have east/west roofline - so I was only faced with maybe 25 feet of ice. Hammer - check, ladder - check, ice chunks spraying me in the face on impact of the hammer, check.....2 hours later plus 1/2 hour on the roof shoveling off snow, and we're looking good again. The gutters are draining and all seems to be well. Lyza and I celebrated with a colossal fire in the stove, and a formulaic hollywood bomb called Fantastic 4 or something like that. It was perfectly simple, $1.49, and right around 1.5 hours. Good night Lyza, and I just finished 1 more hour of housework.

Being a single parent is not easy, and I have more admiration for those that do it 24/7/365 versus me going 24/7/187.5. I am listening to this new Sheryl Crow stuff on Napster and it SUCKS. Anywhoo - It's taken me a couple of weeks to get into the rhythm again, and it'll mean cancelling the gym membership and buying a few pieces of weight equipment for the garage so I can work out after 9pm with a sleeping kid in the house. D has 7 more months of massage school, so I better get used to it again. Ohhh for crissakes, this music is horrible.

Aside from the ice pack work today, I spent about 2 hours on the garage - making it more of a bike shop/work space combo. Big weekend - woo hoo! It was a big weekend for D, as she busted out a 15.5 mile run in around a couple of hours for second place in her age division. Why would anyone want to run that far on trails, when you could ride that far in around an hour on a sweet single speed? I think she's asking the same question as her left knee is all f*cked up.

I'll hit the rollers tomorrow morning for an hour, ride hard on Tuesday, and call it a wrap for Old Pueblo. I'm ready and psyched to race.


2 comments:

  1. Shekky B! Sorry I missed ya, pallie! I was working at the gallery from 10am-2pm in Jerome--- maybe you rode past on the street and I didn't even see ya. Because you were so fast--like lightning---like a blur. Only people with special cameras could capture you.

    Anyways--Thanks for giving my dog laryngitis! I imagine he was barking at you with his entire body, because that's what he do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy sh*t did he bark. I thought he was coming through the glass....although he's smaller than a cat so I wasn't too worried!

    ReplyDelete