Friday, February 8, 2008

Growing up Zeppelin

Over Christmas, I picked up a copy of Led Zeppelin’s latest 2-disc compilation. It’s a chronological compilation of their biggest and best from Zep 1 though Physical Graffiti. Playing it from time to time in the house, my daughter has caught on to the music. She loves the guitar riffs, the heavy dose of John Bonham’s drums, and she mimics Robert Plant’s screams. I remember when I discovered Led Zep, but that was because I was closer to 13 years old. I found a copy of their Untitled 4th album – the one with No Quarter, Stairway to Heaven, When the Levee Breaks, Black Dog etc….I wore that vinyl out. Now, here’s Lyza asking me to play Kashmir because “it sounds like scary monsters are marching down our hallway!”. All I know is that it’s a good thing that it’s hard to comprehend Plant’s lyrics – so she is simply reacting to the music itself – which is arguably some of the best R&R ever produced.

I am fully ready for the day when she is listening to bubble-gum pop stars like Myley Cyrus and Hillary Duff, but I can’t help but think that with a Led Zep foundation, those forays into weak pop music won’t last too long. She likes Amy Winehouse too, but I cut her off QUICK when, while playing Uno, Lyza muttered “They try to make me go to rehab but I said NO NO NO”.

Looks like no racing this weekend – just training. I’m down with that 100%, and looking forward to caking up my bike with red dirt in Sedona.

1 comment:

  1. You are schooling that girl right, pallie! Led Zeppelin at age 6 (almost 7). You have have innoculated her against the ravages of bubble-gum pop music sung by Billy Ray Cyrus mullet-spawn and "actresses/singers" (who are neither acting nor singing very well).

    ReplyDelete