Monday, April 7, 2008

6 Rides, 9 Days and Carbon Fiber Sounds like a Live Tree Branch When It Breaks

I have no idea how many miles, but I've been fortunate to get in 12 hours of riding - most of it on the single speed which never fails. The Cannondale? Different story...

Coming up a technical trail on Saturday morning, the left side of my Azonic Carbon bar gave way making a crunching sound like a live tree branch under stress, followed by a clean 'snap'. Fortunately I got the hint from the crunching sound and backed off on my effort. I just rode home one handed on some easy singletrack, and was fortunate to be about 500 yards from my front door. Thinking back - about 2 minutes before it happened, I had just cascaded off a 4 foot drop at about 20mph....if it had happened then?! Let's just say I must have used some karma points on Saturday.

It was a nice weekend with the family, and although D and I didn't get a lot of time together, we helped each other out quite a bit with housework, kid time and of course - her great meals!

OK - I'm off this Friday and headed to Gallup NM:
Wife - check
Tent - check
Bike - broken, but hopefully mended it time or I'll be riding a 32 x 18 monocog
Sleeping bag - mine sucks and I'll be stealing D's down bag until she steals it back
Work - whateva'
Temps - 25 at night, and 70 and sunny in the day
Life - good

No comments:

Post a Comment