Thursday, April 17, 2008

We have some pretty wealthy investor/owners here at work. One long-time investor, a 73 year old self-made millionaire who rose from dirt to a semi-tycoon called me yesterday to talk about putting some $$ into his house. Time to upgrade, do some nice things, in short - make it a more coveted unit so he can ultimately increase his rental income. After that conversation was over, he proceeded to tell me about his car collection. A limited edition Shelby Cobra, "several" Mercedes AMG's, the proverbial baller Bentley, and a 1970 Ford Pickup....mint condition of course. Then he said he stumbled into a Chevy dealership with a friend a few months back and saw the new Corvettes. A couple hours later he walked out with a red and a black one. Then he said to me, in a very rehearsed manner:

"Mercedes cars, they sure are fun
But I got two Corvette's for the price of one"

I guess his AMG's cost around $130K. That's what his 72 year old wife drives. I can't even imagine the level of discretionary income that he has. I've seen a check that he wrote for $987,000 to cover the cost of a commercial piece of land here. Wow. So, I thought I'd come up with a very rehearsed mantra to spew in his honor:

"Microbrew pints for four ninety nine?
I got two Tecate's for a buck ninety nine"

3 comments: