Tuesday, April 8, 2008

So I take my old Bimmer to the German mechanic to see how much longer I should keep her. 262K on the original engine, but most everything still works. I crashed it once this winter, and drove it off the road another time - resulting in some minor body damage. It was a rough winter.

The receptionist pulls my file at 4pm when I make my way down to pick up the car. She says: "So you wanted to know if you should keep it? Karl says he sure wouldn't....of course, he has 20 cars in the back of the shop to choose from" (then she started backpedaling) "I'm sure it will be fine for you though, you know, I mean it runs, and Karl is really picky". (now she backpedals a little faster). "I mean its not like a 525i is a collectors car since they made a lot of them - Karl would only keep collector cars like old Jags and hard to find Mercedes - that's a nice 525, did you have it repainted?"

Turns out, the engine is fine, but I need new brakes up front and some minor tuning under the hood. I hope to squeeze 350K out of the engine.

So I'm driving home from Target on Saturday with Lyza and her friend Jackson. Lyza says "Jack - do you know what kind of car this is"....he says with out hesitation "It's an old fashioned car". F'n A right it is kid, and it gets 28 to the gallon and has a nice Harmon Kardon factory stereo that still pumps it out.

4 comments:

  1. 262K miles? Damn, you are getting your money's worth. Way to go, Shek. From one "old-fashioned" German car afficionado to the other.

    My Ghia may be a bit more "old fashioned" than you Beemer, but I've already rolled that odometer once, (going one twice) in the past 10 years. Though it is decidedly low tech and as about as basic a car as can exist,it too gets about 30 mpg. Makes me wonder why the auto geniuses and car companies haven't come up with better gas mileage or technology in the past 35 years. In fact, the technology that powers my motor is about 70 years old. How did things get so backwards?

    I see the commercials for the new Mercedes and they are bragging about 27 mpg--I'm like, "sheeeet, fool, that woulda been a news flash fitty years ago, so y'all are a bit behind!" I mean, we should be driving around in fart-powered hovercrafts by now! Why hasn't anyone invented the Flux Capacitor yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fart powered hovercrafts? Many Republicans would get 700 miles out of a "tank" since they blow so much S*it outta their arses

    Your Ghia rules old Skool

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel inferior with my twenty-year-old-twenty-two-mile-per-gallon- two-hundred-twenty-one-thousand-mile Toyota 4runner. I'd feel better if it had a harmon kardon in it. Guess I'll have to be happy with the Eclipse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steven - if you're still running those subwoofer(s) then you're doin' just fine. I still have a headache - a good one - from listening to your mix collection on the way to 24/9 in 100 degree heat 2 years ago.

    ReplyDelete