Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Here we go again..

I have a 12-hour race in less than 2 weeks and as usual, I feel weak, my legs have no snap, and when I'm riding the single speed it feels like I'm pushing a bulldozer. In reality, I'm probably in a little better shape than I was last year at this time, its just that having a looooong day staring at me on the calendar is just a bit daunting. I'll be riding with gears this year as last year I burned out after 6 hours. The thing that really has me nervous is this Whiskey 50 two weeks later (April 26th). I was left for dead last year with dehydration induced cramps (is there any other kind actually?), and a morale crushing last 15 miles that saw me lose probably 30 places in the standings as I literally stood still on the side of the trail trying to get my muscles to release so I could finish without having a total physical meltdown - or puking from my rotgut stomach that had enough.

Then again, it feels good to have these challenges in front of me. I left the house today at 6:10am and barreled into the woods in 25 or so degree temps. Did I say barrelled? I mean glided, or 'efforted', or 'managed to ride' into the woods. I made all the technical climbs - so I get an A for effort, and felt warm at the top - about 1,000 feet above town. Turned around for the 15 minute drop home and FROZE MY ARSE OFF. The only positive was that the muddy sections were frozen - so no bike maintenance to deal with post ride. A shower, a coffee, and off to work by 9am. I just warmed up and it's 12:30pm.

The Twins are 1-0 and the Tigers are 0-1. At this rate the Twins will have a 162 game lead on teh Tigers come the end o' September. C'mon Fish - let me live that dream for at least the rest of today.

Home tonight for some of D's Black Bean Chili. Yeah baby.....

No comments:

Post a Comment