Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Sufferfest 2008 begins at 9:00am this Saturday. The start line is about 100 yards south on Whiskey Row in downtown Prescott and after one hellish 52 mile loop, it finishes on the same stretch of pavement. This year I’m bringin’ the following to the race:

-a fairly fit body that will make a run at finishing in less than 5 hours
-a 6 day taper (although 30 minutes per day on the rollers to stay sane)
-hydration… fer crissakes I’m like a leaky boat– peeing every hour or so
-a Camelbak (I hate wearing packs for races, but I’m not getting behind on food and water)
-awareness…at least I know what the heck to expect from this course. Last year was a major wake-up call to how difficult the terrain around Prescott is.

So, race report to follow on Monday. I am calm but nervous about the race because I suffered some bad cramps last year. I’m spending more time on mental preparation this time as a result. Physically, it’ll hurt any way you slice it but mentally I’ll be ready to go. The hardest part about this event isn’t even on Saturday. It’s on Sunday. I have to be coherent, and fully functioning on Sunday morning at 7:00am for a full shift at the resort.

Summer travel plans are shaping up…..a 7 day trip to MN in June with Squirty, a surprise trip to ?? in July with D (sorry D….just pack your summer clothes and get in the car – I’m drivin’!), and a huge effort to make it back to Whyskyonsin in August or early September for some fun in the humidity and oppressive heat with this clown and this clown. It would cost me $600 in gas to drive to and from Minnesota this summer. Airfares are around $250 - $300. Remember the days when driving was wayyyyy cheaper and all you had to factor in was the drive time? Anyway, in exchange for my airfare I'll plant a tree or two to offset my carbon footprint. No, I probably won't but didn't that sound really elitist/politically correct/in your face?

On a completely random note, my recently married friend GP said he was worried about the fact that having kids would upset his training and racing schedule. His solution (which was frightening because he had this comedically thought out) is to 'import' a few teenage Cambodians into his household. He'd keep the ones that best assimilated and could show his own child what true hardships are since middle class American kids believe that a "hardship" is when Mom is out of macaroni and cheese - all the while of course serving as nannies so he could train/race/work at his convenience. Then he would euthanize the rest. He's going to hell today.

4 comments:

  1. Hope you "enjoy" the suffering. I'll be thinking about you. Julie and I are hoisting one for Josh and Amy at 3 on Saturday because we're unable to be at their celebration. Should we hoist one to you to at sometime during the race.... or should we just do it 5 hours after the start?

    I'm better than you. I drive a Prius because I'm concerned about the environment. I publicly preach green whenever there's a crowd or the press is around. What's that? Oh, the private jet behind me? Um, that's mine. I use it when I have to attend functions on the other coast so that I don't have to travel with commoners.

    GP had me right up to euthanize. Think the plan goes a little awry there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was GP's "punch line" - let's just say it scores with about 25% of his audience(s).
    Raise that glass at 2pm my time (4pm yours) as I better be done in 5 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it were not for the uber rich depositing their green house gases directy at atmosperic level I wouldnt have a job building aircraft. That means no bike parts, no 29'rs, no trips to Tucson for 24 OP, no WORS, no friends, no riding, no happiness.

    So to paraphrase if it werent for people destroying the environment their wouldnt be joy, happiness, friends to ride with or to share a beer with. Which is more important??? I think we all know what is important now.

    Lesson learned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's a big shout-out to the uber rich. If it weren't for them, life would suck.

    Thanks for the correct view, Josh. Your point is well taken.

    ReplyDelete